March 5, 2007 How is it possible?

I'm about eight weeks away from being let out of the confines of the classroom and into the active world of EMS. Oddly enough, it will be around that same time but one year earlier, when I first realized that research into EMS, which I had started for the purposes of understanding my friend...had turned into something for myself as I entertained the idea of a career change.

I hope you'll believe me (those who know me) when I say I'm an introvert. I love watching people and things going on around me: analyzing it all. I love trying to figure out the mysteries of humans all around me. It's this tendency to be a deep thinker, which motivates me to write and to look at things in retrospect all the time. What seemed like a harmless meeting in an everyday situation...has turned out to be one of the biggest turning points of my life.

So in eight weeks I embark on the last leg of what will make this supposed career change, real. Somehow, with all my plans, with all my tears of worry and joy as things began to unfold...I never actually thought about how everything around me would change. Right down to how my cell phone plan and many of the features included will not apply to my new lifestyle. I won't need that call-forwarding feature which I had so I could forward my cell to my office and avoid missing calls, or wasting precious daytime minutes. I won't need it because in eight weeks I won't be sitting at a desk any longer.

To me, nothing is small or without meaning. Not the call-forwarding feature. Not the people that have helped me along the way...that answered my never-ending, panicked, self-doubting questions. Each event as I look back has had a critical part in bringing me to this point. Most recently, my battle with cancer. The son I had to bury. The engagement and wedding plans I called off. The decision which brought me to Edmonton in the first place. The career choice out of high school, which sent me to BC for university. The support I gave my mother when she decided to leave her marriage. These are all major events! But they are no more important then the random encounters I've had a long the way, meeting people who have offered insight and advice...in my life, my future, and myself. There is something magical about recalling a conversation which seemed inconsequential many years ago only to realize today, that it was very nearly a prophecy.

In 'The Alchemist' Paulo Coelho writes, "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it...It's called the principle of favourability, beginner's luck. Because life wants you to achieve your destiny." (p. 42-54)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really glad you finally started this. I only wish you would have started with when you first decided to get into this industry and then all the comments and stuff you have written within this discussion forum. I know you have given me links to other's blogs but I know that this will be one that i look forward to reading.

I really don't know you all that well but I can see by the quick glimpse into your past from this first entry that you are perfect for this job. This job is 90% life and 10% skills. You unfortunately have the life to do be able to relate to people and be comforting when that is really all most people need.

Welcome to the business of caring. You will be fine. Just remember to look after yourself.